Garden Club Webinars
Gardening 101 – Part 1: This webinar covers garden design basics: Identifying desired use of garden space, such as play area, food production, or cut flowers; Using color and texture; Selecting appropriate size plants for light requirements and space sizes; Integrating planting with hardscapes.
Gardening 101 – Part 2: This webinar focuses on “Planting and Maintaining Your Garden.” Topics covered include soil preparation, essential garden tools, how to plant, watering, mulching, weed and pest control, pruning.
- University of Maryland Extension – Baltimore City Master Gardner Home & Garden Information Center https://extension.umd.edu/
- Maryland Native Plant Society, publications and list of native plants for conservation landscaping www.mdflora.org/publications/natives2plant_lists.html
- Invasive Plants of the Mid-Atlantic Region http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/
- Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/handbooks/nativealternatives/nativealternatives_weblist.html
- Virginia Invasive Plants species: Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation http://dcr.state.va.us/natural_heritage/invspinfo.shtml
- Virginia Native Plant Society with many native plant lists for conservation landscaping, native plant sales, and related info http://www.vnps.org/
Native Planting for Wildlife and Pollinators
- Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conversation Landscaping: Chesapeake Bay Watershed. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Chesapeake Bay Field Office, Annapolis, MD. Download PDF here
- Audubon Native Plants for Birds in your Region https://www.audubon.org/plantsforbirds
- Gardening for Wildlife with Native Plants https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/gardening-for-wildlife-with-native-plants.htm
- What’s the Buzz: All About Pollinators. Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Annapolis, MD. https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/habitat/wawhatsthebuzz.aspx
- Pollinator Gardening. DC Health, Government of the District of Columbia. https://doh.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/ddoe/service_content/attachments/Web_Pollinator%20Gardening_12_03_2015.pdf
Plant Identification and Search Databases
- USDA Plants database http://plants.usda.gov/
- Missouri Botanical Garden Plant Finder database: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderSearch.aspx
- Native Plants database at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center http://www.wildflower.org/plants/
Bluewater Baltimore had provided the following items for our review on tree care.
- Watering: https://bluewaterbaltimore.org/event/summer-tree-watering/2021-07-13/
- Mulching: https://bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/4-24-2020-mulch-madness/
- Invasive Removal: https://bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/do-your-part-protect-our-green-spaces-in-baltimore/
- Street Tree Care: https://bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/the-dos-donts-of-street-tree-care/
- Street Tree Care presentation: https://boltonhillgardenclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Street_Tree_Bed_Care_PDF.pdf
Maryland Garden Club Organizations
- Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland http://www.fgcofmd.org/
- Baltimore City Garden Clubs (District IV) http://www.baltimorecitygardenclubs.org/
Member Recommended Plant Guides and References
- A Guide to Sun Exposure for Gardeners. Solar Power.guide. Bob’s Solar Power Hobby Site. https://solarpower.guide/sun-exposure-gardeners (Recommended by 11-year-old Hailey Jarvis, BHGC’s youngest supporter!)
- Bruce, Hal. How to Grow Wildflowers and Wild Shrubs and Trees in Your Own Garden. Alfred A. Knopf. New York, N.Y. 1976.
- Cullina, William. Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A guide to using, growing, and propagating North American woody plants. Houghton Mifflin Co., New York, N.Y. 2002. (Outstanding reference for Native plants!)
- DuPont, Elizabeth. Landscaping with Native Plants in the Middle-Atlantic Region. Brandywine Conservancy, Chadds Ford, PA. 2004
- Foote, Leonard E. and Samuel B. Jones. Gardening with Native Wild Flowers. Timber Press, OR. 1997
- Foote, Leonard E. and Samuel B. Jones. Native Shrubs and Woody Vines of the Southeast: Landscaping Uses and Identification. Timber Press, Portland, OR. 2001.
- Halllowell, Anne C. and Barbara G. Hallowell. Fern Finder: a guide to native ferns of Central and Northeastern United States and Eastern Canada. Nature Study Guild Publishers, Rochester, New York. 2001.
- Sternberg, Guy and Jim Wilson. Native Trees for North American Landscapes. Timber Press, Portland, OR. 2006.
- Stein, Sarah. Noah’s Garden. Houghton Mifflin Co. New York, NY, 1997.
- Tallamy Douglas W. Bringing Nature Home How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens. Timber Press, Inc. Portland, OR, 2007.
- Turnmer, Terry. Roundup Alternatives. Consumernotice.org,